Finance News & Insights

IRS will begin accepting some business tax returns today

Got your tax information in early this year? Check this list to see if you can file as early as today.

In an email to tax pros, the IRS detailed which business and non-profit tax returns it will begin to accept as of 9 a.m. EST, February 4, 2013. For both the fiscal year and 2012 calendar year, the agency will accept:

  • Corporate (form 1120 series)
  • Partnership (forms 1065/1065-B), and
  • Tax Exempt Organization (form 990 series).

There are exceptions. If your business or non-profit is claiming depreciation deductions or energy and business tax credits (see below), it will have to wait until late February, early March (the agency said in the e-mail that a specific date would be announced sometime soon).

Reminder: The IRS began accepting business tax returns on January 7 for all businesses with their fiscal year ending before December 31, 2012.

You will have to hold off on filing today and wait if you’re including any of these credits:

  • Form 3800: General Business Credit
  • Form 4136: Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuel
  • Form 4562: Depreciation and Amortization (Including Information on Listed Property)
  • Form 5471: Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Corporations
  • Form 5735: American Samoa Economic Development Credit
  • Form 5884: Work Opportunity Credit
  • Form 6478: Credit for Alcohol Used as Fuel
  • Form 6765: Credit for Increasing Research Activities
  • Form 8820: Orphan Drug Credit
  • Form 8834: Qualified Plug-in Electric and Electric Vehicle Credit
  • Form 8844: Empowerment Zone and Renewal Community Employment Credit
  • Form 8845: Indian Employment Credit
  • Form 8864: Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Fuels Credit
  • Form 8874: New Markets Credits
  • Form 8900: Qualified Railroad Track Maintenance Credit
  • Form 8903: Domestic Production Activities Deduction
  • Form 8908: Energy Efficient Home Credit
  • Form 8909: Energy Efficient Appliance Credit
  • Form 8910: Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit
  • Form 8911: Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit
  • Form 8912: Credit to Holders of Tax Credit Bonds
  • Form 8923: Mine Rescue Team Training Credit
  • Form 8932: Credit for Employer Differential Wage Payments
  • Form 8936: Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit
Print Friendly

Subscribe Today

Get the latest and greatest finance news and insights delivered to your inbox.