Sure every company wants to be responsive to employees’ needs. But some people really know how to push it.
A new survey from CareerBuilder asked nearly 3,000 hiring managers about the strangest requests they’ve ever received.
And, boy, were they strange!
We bet these suggestions had their employers saying “sorry we asked!”:
- Designate a special smoking area for medical marijuana use.
- Hold the team meeting in Hawaii.
- Put a tanning bed in the break room.
- Install a swimming pool.
- Institute bikini Fridays.
- Add beer to the vending machine.
- Put a reclining chair in the lactation room, so people can use it for naps.
- Replace an employee’s desk with a futon so that employee could lie down while working.
- Let workers change clothes in their cubicles.
- Apply the Family and Medical Leave Act to cover jail time.
- Allow a worker who’s scared of the dark to work only during daylight hours.
- Give an employee additional time off to pursue a side business as a clown.
- Recommend that the HR professional wear nicer shoes.
- Let employees forgo the company-provided birthday cake and take the cash instead.
- Provide protection from “alien rays” emanating from an employee’s computer, and
- Offer “cat-ernity leave” to bond with a new kitten (this one was actually granted, folks).
What’s the strangest suggestion you’ve ever heard? Share it here.