Honesty is usually the best policy — unless, of course, you’re in a job interview, and the answer to “What are your weaknesses?” is “I’m an alcoholic and do not deserve this job.”
While HR managers offer positions based on the strongest responses to questions such as “Why do you want to work for us?” or “Tell of a time you made a mistake and how you dealt with,” it’s the more ridiculous answers that stand out the most.
Here are seven of the most off-the-wall job interview responses, courtesy of CareerBuilder.com. See if your HR department has ever heard any of these before.
- “Cross dressing isn’t a problem is it?” When interviewers ask, “Do you have any questions?” it’s best for candidates to ask specifically about the position they’re going for.
- “I have a problem with authority.” Unless it’s an interview for a bounty hunter position, this probably isn’t the best response to “Why did you leave your last job?”
- “The resolution was we were both fired.” Problems with co-workers are fairly common, so when a hiring manager wants to know about “a problem you had with a co-worker and how you resolved it,” ideally he or she is looking for a solution that doesn’t involve multiple terminations.
- “Cigarettes are getting more expensive, so I need another job.” Well, at least this candidate didn’t say, “Heroin is getting more expensive, so ….”
- “What is two weeks’ notice? I’ve never quit a job before, I’ve always been fired.” Not the type of consistency most employers are looking for in future employees.
- “May I have a cup of coffee? I think I may still be a little drunk from last night.” On top of being a completely unprofessional comment, there really is no proof that coffee helps to sober a person up.
- “If I get an offer, how long do I have before I have to take the drug test?” If this candidate doesn’t even know that GNC offers a vast array of proven products to pass any drug test at a moment’s notice, there’s no telling what other basic knowledge he or she is lacking.
For CareerBuilder’s complete list, click here.
Heard better? Leave your own ridiculous job interview responses in our comments section.