President Obama’s healthcare reform is now no longer a what-if scenario. And now some companies are making tough decisions.
Freedom Works compiled a list of some companies that, upon hearing news of Obama’s reelection and assumed upholding of Obamacare, are making major layoffs.
The list includes:
- Welch Allyn: 275 employees over the next three years as a proactive response to the Medical Device tax.
- Dana Holding Corp: This Ohio auto-parts manufacturer is looking at $24 million in health care expenses and equate to numerous cuts in their current workforce of 25,500 worldwide.
- Medtronic: This medical device maker warned that Obamacare taxes could result in a reduction of precisely 1,000 jobs. That plan became reality when the company cut 500 positions over the summer, with another 500 set for the end of 2013.
- Smith & Nephew – 770 layoffs
- Abbott Labs – 700 layoffs
- Covidien – 595 layoffs
- Kinetic Concepts – 427 layoffs
- St. Jude Medical – 300 layoffs
- Hill Rom – 200 layoffs